In 1880, the Burlington and Rock Island Railroad began to provide
transportation access to settlers located on the land that
is now known as the City of Carson. During this time the first
and freight were unloaded in a field until a depot was built
a few years later. With direct access to the railroad, plans
for the settlement and the City of Carson was officially given
its present name and incorporated in 1881 with a population
of 240 residents.
Since its incorporation in 1881, the City of Carson has continued
to grow and prosper. By 1990, the City had reached a population
of 705 residents. To accommodate this population growth that has
occurred over the past century, the City has acquired several commercial
and governmental operations to service the residents of Carson.
Some of these operations include two banks, post office, convenience
store, restaurants, news paper, and several local churches.
Our city is only 30 minutes from Council Bluffs, IA and Omaha,
NE. We consider ourselves as a bedroom community. Many people drive
to Council Bluffs, IA or Omaha, NE to work. In our City we have
a great City Park, which we have updated with new playground equipment,
basketball court and softball/baseball field. We also have an annual
Rodeo and parade that is held every first week of August. For the
past 40 years our City has had a Theatre which is owned and operated
by the Carson Community Club.
The City of Carson is
located between the City’s of Macedonia & Oakland
on Highway 59 and the City’s of Griswold & Treynor
on Highway 92. In 1993 the three City’s of Macedonia,
Carson, and Oakland joined schools to become Riverside School
There is a middle school located in Carson which educates 5-8
graders, the elementary and high schools are located in Oakland.
Click Here for a Historic List of Past Mayor's for the City of Carson 1881-Present.